A selection of recent - and not so recent - Airfix Spits including the new IX, the Ia and PR. 19, along with the rather elderly Vb and Mk 1. These are mostly OOB - the PR. 19 has Freightdog decals and the Vb is finished in the markings of Don Gentile's 4th FG machine taken from an old Promodeller decal sheet..
Saturday, 11 June 2011
A quick look at some of the entries on the competition table at the Shepway Military Modelling Society annual show June 2011. Although I didn't stay for the results Best in Show was undoubtedly this build of the new Revell Arado Ar 196, although the 1/24 scale Stuka and the scratch-built Hawker Tempest were also very impressive!
Friday, 3 June 2011
My small scale Fw 190 was well received on britmodeller.com..thanks very much indeed chaps!
I don't think I'll be posting any shots of this Tamiya Würger there though. Decals went on today, using the Kagero Air Miniatures JG 26 set. This is a III. Gruppe machine with a nice Adlerflügel or eagle wing design. The disaster occurred when I tried to use the Tamiya stencils ..the dotted walkways just disintegrated in the water and many of the other stencils and one Hakenkreuz went the same way! Then the sun turned my Klear coat into a gloopey mess - should have stayed in the garage!
Threw on the rest of the decals - or what I'd got left - and took a few snaps for posterity. At least the Kagero sheet performed well as usual - I recommend them for your Luftwaffe subjects! Of course after taking a few shots I realised that I still have some detail painting to do - along with adding some replacement stencils and a swastika - and then I spotted the deliberate mistake! But I'm not going to mention it here otherwise you'll notice it immediately...I am pleased though with the stance I achieved on the landing gear..I do feel that a proportion of the Tamiya Fw 190 kits you see finished have a rather over-done toe-in appearance. Note the 'over-painted' factory codes on the fuselage..
Thanks for looking, bye for now...
Wednesday, 1 June 2011
Finished in SG 4 markings, Italy spring 1944.
Just finished - but the sun is so strong here today it's making the 'sandgelb' look a little 'pink'. The mottle is a bit heavy-handed (didn't turn the compressor down - I realise that now!). Exhaust staining with Windsor & Newton acrylic varnish coloured with a little 'leather brown'...note Mickey Mouse unit emblem, over-painted fuselage band and over-painted swastika, not a decal..