Sunday, 21 November 2010

new Airfix builds, LTV Buffalo, Bf109 G-6, IWM Duxford Sea Vixen


 A little work this week on the LTV 4 Buffalo and a couple of web shots of the real thing. Preshading done. The vinyl tracks were a pain, tried heating them to stick them together without much luck and eventually resorted to stapling the ends together. While I can hide the staple I can't hide the damage that I did to the tracks by heating them!






Also this week I went and placed my order for the new Airfix 48th scale Sea Vixen - looking forward to starting this as soon as it arrives. Some shots of the aircraft which I snapped at the IWM Duxford this summer












...and finally I've been working on the latest Airfix Bf 109 G-6. Scratched the cockpit which is totally bare and sanded off the misshapen cowl 'Beulen' in an attempt to recreate an earlier G-2. The differences between the G-2 and G-6 are slight and basically comprised the addition of 13mm cowl MGs instead of 7,92mm MGs. That translates to bulges, 40 kg extra weight, and 9 km/h loss of speed.
- different radio set (VHF intead of HF, but that's actually already there on the G-4)
- larger main wheels and tailwheel. The upper wing panels on the G-2 thus have no wheel bulges, while the G-6 tailwheel is non-retractable. However this is not strictly a difference between G-6 and G-2, but a later addition to 109Gs in spring 1943. Late production G-2s had non-retractable tailwheel as well, or were retrofitted with one.
Historically, about half of the 109Gs in mid-1943 were G-2s and performance-wise identical G-4s (plus some identical, but pressurized G-1s and G-3s, they could be also fitted with GM-1 for high alt work), and the other half was made up by G-6s which appeared in February 1943. Slowly the G-6s become prominent, practically replaced by the G-14 (= G6 + MW-50 + latest gimnicks) on the production lines in July 1944.


It had the same engine, no methanol boost initially, that only came in early 1944. The engine was cleared for higher rating (1.42ata) for 1475 PS output vs. earlier 1310 PS, in either June 1943 or October 1943. The only kit part in the model is the seat which has been completely reworked to incorporate some head/shoulder armour. Not a particularly accurate G-6 from Airfix although a nice new tool. The forward nose slopes far too much for my liking








Monday, 15 November 2010

Eday show Prague - 18/19 September 2010

Show pics courtesy of Jason at LSA models. As usual click on the image to enlarge!













Sunday, 14 November 2010

Scale Model World Telford 2010

A selection of the best models from this year's show and show video reports posted on youtube courstesy of Meindert de Vreeze of IPMS Netherlands. Just one click on the video to view here









Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket




Historic dockyard Portsmouth

While modellers headed north to Telford this weekend, parental duties saw me making the three hour drive down to Portsmouth and the chance for a quick tour of the dockyard was on the cards. We missed Ark Royal which had already left for her farewell tour of the UK but HMS Dauntless was tied up alongside the quay - the Royal Navy's newest ship, a Type 45 destroyer built at a cost of over £ 1 billion !
The kids were hugely impressed by HMS Victory of course and it was most amusing eavesdropping on some French tourists explaining to their kids exactly what HMS Victory is famous for ! A few pics of some of the models on display although as they were in display cases the pictures are pretty poor. The dockyard is recommended for a great day out !









Saturday, 6 November 2010

Airfix Spitfire Mk. 1 (1/72)

Finished in the markings of P/O George Hudson, 610 Sqn.

Lovely little kit, shame about the rather thick canopy. Parts fit was very good again, although I had to work hard to clip the canopy in place. Replaced the gunsight with clear card and some of the cockpit detail is visible including the control column, so that was pleasing. For once the decals work almost perfectly, almost the first time I've been able to say that about these new tool Airfix kits. The result looks better in my book than the equivalent diecast, which is one of the benchmarks I use when building a model nowadays. Finished up with a Promodeller 'Dark dirt' wash, although once again I end up thinking that this really is a product that is very over-rated - I much prefer an oil pin wash. Now to finish some more of these Spits using the Southern Expo Hornchurch decal sheet..