Thursday 21 April 2011

Airfix 1/48 Spitfire XII (5) - edit


The warm spell continues, 24, 25, 26 C and rising. Getting too hot to model and paint. Is this some sort of record for April? Or is this going to be our summer like it was last year?

Latest on the Spit XII. I'm having a bit of trouble with this one. It's all me I should add. Perhaps I'm not doing enough modelling or something, but I keep making silly mistakes. It fits well ..and yet it doesn't. Plenty of filler on all the major joins. The cannon especially proved rather hard to fit and I ended up cutting away rather more of the wing than I wanted to. Drilled out some holes for the flap actuator rods in the upper wing but somehow I don't think it will add anything to the 'look' of the kit so I might well fill those in again. Drilled out the exhausts. Added some wing-tip nav lights from coloured plastic filed to shape. The intake needed lots of scraping and sanding to get it looking tidy. Posing the stabiliser wasn't easy either. There is a very small part that clips on to the rudder to line everything up - needless to say I couldn't get it to fit. I don't like the 'step' on the lower nose part either so that's all filled and sanded/polished. Just got to add the cowl intake which I'm scratching from a 72 scale bomb cut and filed to shape and then perhaps I can think about getting some paint on the beast..Phew!





No comments:

Post a Comment