Thursday 7 April 2016

No. 211 Squadron RAF Blenheim Mk I UQ-R Tatoi, Greece, new-tool Airfix Blenheim I build review finished #5









Finally!  I've managed to finish the first of my new-tool Airfix Blenheim Is - although it 'looks' like a nicely detailed replica for a new-tool I have to say that I hate this kit! A terrible build experience, worse than the worst of any short-run non-fitting builds I've ever done. Be warned, nothing fits, apart from the undercarriage! Just about everything else required much fettling and filing and filling! My transparencies were short-shot and Hornby never came back with any replacements either. Fortunately a fellow-Britmodeller from Australia sent me a spare sprue that he had so it was while waiting for that to arrive that I very rashly decided to start a second Airfix Blenheim Mk I which I was a little happier with - but not much! Here's the first one in the markings of UQ-R of No. 211 Squadron seen in Greece in 1941 (note the 'R' was not displayed on the aircraft..)







IWM pictures of the machine modelled, licence-fee-free reproduction via the IWM site

Bristol Blenheim Mark I, L6670 ‘UQ-R’, of No. 211 Squadron RAF preparing to taxy at Menidi/Tatoi, Greece. Note the individual letter 'R' was not displayed..

ROYAL AIR FORCE: OPERATIONS OVER ALBANIA AND IN GREECE, 1940-1941.

ROYAL AIR FORCE: OPERATIONS OVER ALBANIA AND IN GREECE, 1940-1941.© IWM (CM 288)

Blenheim Mark IF, L6670 ‘UQ-R’, of No. 211 Squadron RAF, landing at Menidi/Tatoi, Greece, after a raid on Italian positions in Albania.

ROYAL AIR FORCE: OPERATIONS OVER ALBANIA AND IN GREECE, 1940-1941.

ROYAL AIR FORCE: OPERATIONS OVER ALBANIA AND IN GREECE, 1940-1941.© IWM (CM 290)

Below; the Commanding Officer of No. 211 Squadron RAF, Squadron Leader J R Gordon-Finlayson, and his wireless operator/air gunner, Pilot Officer A C Geary, photographed in a Bristol Blenheim Mark I at Menidi/Tatoi, Greece, after returning from Corfu. On 24 November 1941, Gordon-Finlayson's aircraft was hit by anti-aircraft fire during a bombing raid on Valona, Albania. Unable to reach Menidi, he force-landed on a beach at Corfu, where he and his crew were toasted and feted before returning to the mainland by fishing boat and rejoining their unit. Gordon-Finalyson is carrying bottles of wine and other gifts given to them by their Greek hosts.

ROYAL AIR FORCE: OPERATIONS OVER ALBANIA AND IN GREECE, 1940-1941.

ROYAL AIR FORCE: OPERATIONS OVER ALBANIA AND IN GREECE, 1940-1941.© IWM (CM 292)




4 comments:

  1. I thought my rather bad experience with this kit was just down to my own fumbling, but I'm somewhat vindicated to see that others are having problems too. Getting the forward cabin together and then attaching it to the fuselage is not for the easily discouraged! You did end up with an acceptable end product, which I'm not sure I did! So congrats for that at least!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cheers! ..not a nice kit, attaching the front fuselage parts to the rear pieces and then fitting them together as two halves works best..certainly better than the instructions..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi - not sure if you'll see this comment but hope so. Where did you get the 211 Sqn decals from? I've got this kit in my stash too and want to do the same plane... Sqn Ldr GF was my grandfather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi - not sure if you will pick up this. My Great Uncle Arthur Geary flew with your grandfather. Would like to know if you have any history regarding
      their time in Greece 1941

      Let me know

      Jeremy Cornwell

      Delete