Sunday 7 June 2020

AZ Bf 109 G-6/AS in 1:72 scale






Bf 109 G-6/AS from the AZ 72nd series of Bf 109s - seen here awaiting some final touches, like the pitot tube and the FuG 16 aerial. One reason for taking photos of your models - you immediately realize what you’ve missed! Decals are remnants from various sheets, except for the ‘Mickey Maus ’ from the old Encore models Gustav.


As a far better modeler than me put it recently, " I keep going back to the AZ Bf 109s ...and then reality hits home.." Now - based on just one build so far - I decided that I quite like AZ Model's Bf 109 G-6 series - 'Model of the Year 2015' in the small scale category in the German 'Modellfan' magazine. I've just added a couple of G-6/AS variants to the stash and bought both the 'Limited Edition' JG 300 boxes.




The G-6/AS were conceived as ‘fast’ high altitude interceptors with a refined ‘bulge-free’ cowling and forward fuselage, the DB 605A(S) engine (‘S’ for Sonder or ‘special’) and a bigger supercharger, issued in overall light blue-gray finish from early 1944 to units operating in the defense of the Reich, such as I./JG 5. This is the ’Mickey Maus’ machine flown by the Kommandeur, Horst Carganico...

I'd forgotten how tricky these AZ kits are - not much fits well unfortunately. Especially where the cockpit is concerned - a huge chunk of that need sanding down to get it between the fuselage halves.

To build a G-6/AS as depicted in this box the chin bulges will need to be sanded off - AZ don't tell you this anywhere.



I’ve just started another of these and somehow the fit of the cockpit is much better ! The other problem area is the fit of the empennage which seems too thick for the lower half of the fuselage, which could usefully use a ‘shim’ of plastic card to widen it out. And many modelers have complained about the nose shape on these kits but to be honest it doesn’t bother me too much at all...





5 comments:

  1. I love the overall 76 finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..hi Jeff, yes I like the simple schemes, but perhaps I could have usefully selected a different color for the panel line wash...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great model. Looks like I need to take a look the one I have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Overall a very nice finish. Really like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Falke,
    nice G-6/AS!! I had the luck to meet the widow of Manfred Dieterle of 3./ JG300 (Bf109G-6/R6; Gelbe 1). She lived in a retirement home near Stuttgart. She had a contemporary wooden model of a Bf109G made by a mechanic of JG300. It was painted in their Flieglacke-colors of satin black lower surfaces, flat dark bluegrey (not an RLM shade!) upper surfaces, pale yellow 1 and an deep red (not an RLM shade)colored Rumpfband. She also had Manfred´s Flugtagebuch and I found a few flights with a G/AS. He noted: "Geht wie eine Rakete!". So, performance must have been quite good at altidude :-)
    Bye Bernd aka 109er.

    ReplyDelete