Wednesday 12 April 2023

From the sublime to the ridiculous - Kotare and Beacon Models Spitfire Mk I in 32nd and 144th scales

 


Here are two 'new' model companies that deserve every tiny scrap of 'publicity' going. Both have opted for Spitfires as their first releases to really 'launch' their respective companies.


Kotare is the Mark Robson/Richard Alexander entreprise that has risen 'phoenix-like' from the demise of Wingnut Wings. A beautiful 32nd scale Spitfire I is their first release and thanks to Rod, the East Kent Scale modellers club got the chance to examine the box at a recent club meet. Apologies for the poor lighting.

Beautifully produced handbook/instruction manual. Complete with rigging guide!





Flawlessly molded parts. But a relatively low parts count - only around 140. Resin exhausts  - but no engine. The decal sheet is A-4 size and 'printed in Italy'  - probably Cartograph, but not stated. Did you know that a Cartograph decal sheet in a box costs the model producer as much as the plastic?  This is such a nice package it looks too 'nice' to build  - I'm sure that they will be snapped up by collectors whatever..


But....as much as I wish Kotare well, I do have to point out that RRP at around £95 (certainly in the UK) is as much as a 430-part Airfix 24th scale Spit IX ! 

One of the markings options in the kit is the 234 Sqn machine 'Dirty Dick' forced down by JG 53 during August 1940. 



More reference photos on my 'Jet & Prop' blog here

Moving on to the new Beacon Models  Spitfire Mk I vs Bf  109 E-4 'Dogfight Set' contains a Mk I and an Emil in 1:144th. Model build by Callum. (..and no, I'm not employing the term 'model kit-set' here..ever!)
3-D printed airfield 'dispersal scene' also available.













No comments:

Post a Comment