Saturday 11 March 2023

Painting exhausts on WWII fighters - Hawker Hurricane Mk1 R4118, Duxford



. Hurricane Mk 1 R4118 with a nice new set of shiny exhausts. This for a fellow modeller at our club who told me in no uncertain terms that exhausts should not be painted 'silver'. Quite obviously any modeller is going with a base coast of aluminium if trying to replicate these. Of course they won't stay pristine for long, but they quite clearly have a nice metallic sheen. Having struggled for a long time to come up with a decent exhaust painting method I think I'll go back to alu base with burnt umber oil washes and sooty effects. Official feed for Hawker Hurricane Mk1 R4118, the only Hurricane from the Battle of Britain still flying today. Now based at Duxford, Cambridgeshire UK. Click on the 'blue circle' to view pilot walkaround here.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting the video. The Hurricane was my first model I built way back in the later 60's

    ReplyDelete