Monday 3 June 2013

new tool Airfix Hawker Typhoon IB 1:72nd scale (4)





..a little and often is my modelling philosophy so I was able to make quite a bit of progress this weekend. As usual I had a bit of a nightmare with my upper surface colours, found it impossible to get a decent finish by airbrush - I wasn't about to mask off each colour with blu-tac sausages - so ended up brush-painting the main camo finish. The end result appeared satisfactory to my eyes so I then proceeded to put the fuselage stripes and band on. I had no intention of using the kit decals for these at all, until I read that they were printed by Cartograph so elected to try them on this build - they went on superbly well! I have subsequently washed some of the panel lines with oils and added the undercarriage (note the weighted wheel..) and rocket rails on one side. The spinner was masked off and airbrushed. I have installed the tail wheel - using a short length of biro refill and cutting off the locating pins I have 'posed' the tail wheel in an off-centre position which I think looks quite convincing and adds to the visual impact of the model..




1 comment:

  1. Great work brush-painting the camo. I also like what you did with the tail wheel.

    ReplyDelete